From one of my favourite food blogs – the awesome Toasty Biscuit - comes this Friday baking treat. Children, husbands, friends and foes alike will love this crazy slice. It’s the hazelnut and banana combo that makes it so moresih.
She’s adapted the recipe from ‘All Cakes Considered” by Melissa Gray’ (buy it here) which is a great book to add to your collection.
It’s a snitch to make – let me know how you go.
Banana Cake with Nutella Frosting
125g butter, at room temperature
1 ½ cups caster sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups mashed banana (about 3 large bananas)
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
2 ½ cups plain flour
½ cup Nutella
50g butter, room temperature
2 big tablespoons condensed milk (or milk or cream)
3 cups icing sugar, sifted
1. Line a 10 inch square cake tin with non stick baking paper and set aside. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. In a freestanding mixer, beat the butter and sugar until white and creamy.
3. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add this to the creamed butter and sugar mixture. Mix well.
4. Add the bananas, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Gently combine and mix for about two minutes.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for around 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Cool the cake in the tin for 15 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
7. For the frosting, beat the butter and Nutella until combined. Add icing sugar, a cup at a time until everything is smooth. Add the condensed milk and mix until glossy.
8. Spread the frosting onto the cooled cake.
Head over to Toasty Biscuit to read her hilarious post about how this cake is like an episode of Seinfeld – and then bookmark her blog, she’s fab.